By Jesse Jones
I am enclosing a recipe adapted from one I found online and tweaked. It has become a favorite for my wife and me. Starting in January 2015, I lost 100-plus pounds in two years. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I eat very little meat. At one point I realized, I had fallen out of love with meat. — Jesse Jones
12 oz. Fresh Baby Bella Mushrooms
10 oz. Riced Cauliflower
¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, divided
1 Onion, finely chopped
6 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Serrano Chili, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
⅓ cup Tomato Paste
1 lb. Pasta – shells or rotini
2 oz. finely grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
Zest of 1 Lemon
- Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat ¼ cup oil and 2 Tbsp. butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 4–6 minutes.
- Add onion and 2 Tbsp. oil to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and golden brown, 6–8 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili, and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is softened and mixture is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6–8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until almost al dente, about 1 minute less than package directions.
- Reserving 1 cup pasta water, transfer pasta to pot with sauce. Add 1 cup Parmesan, 2 Tbsp. butter, and reserved water from pasta. Cook, stirring constantly, until pasta is al dente and sauce is clinging to pasta, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon zest.
- Top with more Parmesan to taste, drizzle with oil, and serve
Printable version of this recipe
Recipe preparation and photo courtesy Jesse Jones.
Click here to explore LKNConnect’s Cookbook. See all of our published recipes.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed by our writers belong solely to them
and do not represent LKNConnect.com, its publisher or its staff.