Most of know about the lead generation technique called a sales funnel. We understand the concept, but it’s the details many miss. All marketing starts a chain reaction down the funnel. Many times you’re not even aware it’s happening. At each stage your brand and materials must say to your customer, “Yes, I am the least risky solution” or you lose the sale.
Let’s discuss each stage briefly to see where your target will go and the determining factors in their decision. For this article we’re going to use a fictitious business, Fresh Coat Painting.
Pain: Who can paint my home interior and do a good job?
Awareness—Where they go to relieve their pain
- Facebook group chats
- They start noticing vehicle signage (your secret weapon)
- Family and friends
- Google and reading your reviews
- Your website (They don’t care about the reviews on your site. They view those as curated.)
If your reviews are good and your name comes up a few times in various places they know. In addition, your website is decent—then you move down to the next stage, compare.
Compare: Viewing your direct & indirect competitors
- Price and quality comparison
- Transparency in your process
- Accreditations and insurance
- Business longevity
- Education and tips (bonus if you have a YouTube channel)
- Pictures of before and after (bonus if you get pics with furniture back in place)
They’re comparing apples to apples at this stage. Your branding must convince them that you’re not an apple but you’re ambrosia! AND that’s what they really want. This isn’t deceiving, but differentiation. Once they’ve compared you and come back, they’re ready to be sold and will call or email.
Validate & Assure: Your sales and onboarding process
- Professionalism and expertise demonstrated in front of them
- Solutions and options
- Strategic pricing (notice I didn’t say cheapest)
- Case Studies
Once you’ve demonstrated your system delivers results they buy. Now it’s time to over deliver by delighting them.
Delight: Your system at work
- Taking care of other area that needed work not included in contract
- Tips on after care
- Finishing earlier than projected
If you make the experience of doing business with you easy and enjoyable they’ll want to repeat it or even better, share it with others.
Share: How they let others know how amazing you were
- Online reviews
- Pics before and after
- Signage in yard
- Referral cards
- Video testimonials
If you make it easy for them to share you with others, they will. Better yet, you’re work will do the selling for you, and new clients will go down the funnel quicker in larger numbers. That’s when brand growth happens. Until next time I wish you much success leveraging your brand to realize your dreams.
George Paul III is a branding expert and award-winning designer. He’s the Founder of Seize the Brand, an education platform designed to empower business owners by leveraging the power of branding to realize business and life goals.