Jennifer Street



By Jennifer Street
International Tour Director




DAVIDSON NC: “What’s the dream?” That was the question posed to Mariano Doble’s eldest daughter during a college tour in April 2017. Mariano arrived home and asked his wife, Caroline Doble, “What’s our dream?” What was THEIR dream as their second child was about to go off to college?

From Miami Beach to Davidson

Mariano and Caroline, former hotel management majors, met in 1994 while working at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida. The couple always knew that they wanted to get back into their passion: hospitality and tourism. Within four days of that fated college campus visit, Mariano had contacted a real estate broker inn-keeping specialist, and as Caroline stated, “by God’s divine intervention, everything fell perfectly into place and we found ourselves moving from Miami, Florida to Davidson, North Carolina.”

Caroline and Mariano Doble, owners of the Davidson Village Inn

Caroline and Mariano Doble

The Keys Change Hands

In October 2017, the keys of the Davidson Village Inn (DVI) at 117 Depot Street, were handed over to the Dobles by the retiring Clarks’ (Gordon and Rebecca) who had operated the inn since 1993, when the first brick was laid. That day, all 18-rooms were filled with a majority of Davidson College “Parents Week” guests. Two months later during the slow season, the Dobles updated the premises with a new coat of paint, linens, toiletries, carpets, and more to continue enhancing this boutique, European-style bed and breakfast. They started offering tea time and added a baby grand piano for their guests’ enjoyment! Caroline finessed breakfast to include fair trade and local ingredients as much as possible.



Location, Comfort and True Hospitality

That is how the Dobles describe Davidson Village Inn, and why their logo is a pineapple, the international symbol of hospitality. The online reviews reflect their mission, as well as, the 73% repeat client rate—many of whom are forgoing hotel points for an average of two nights! Approximately 30% of DVI’s clients are associated with Davidson College; alumni, board of trustees, and students’ families. The remaining 70% of DVI clients are business people, tourists, visitors of The Pines at Davidson, foodies following Chef Joe Kindred and other nearby award-winning restaurants, and lastly, locals that want a “staycation.”

The lobby of the Davidson Village Inn

Making Your Dreams Come True

If a local or romantic getaway piques your interest, Davidson Village Inn’s low season and best months to book are June, July, December and January. They honor AAA, AARP, and military discounts. The Dobles have appreciated the warm welcome they received as new business owners in the area. Their way of giving back to the community is to offer clients in Davidson and the Lake Norman area, vacation packages which include deals on dining, outdoor activities, bike rentals, craft beer tasting, and sometimes complimentary tickets to the Davidson Community Players productions and NCAA Division One sport events. For DVI guests that want guaranteed fun and free entertainment, you can request Mariano to give you a tour of Davidson on the inn’s bright green tri-cycle pedicab!


The Davidson Village Inn is located at 117 Depot St in Davidson, NC. For more information, visit


Jennifer Street has been an international tour director for seven years. She directs tours on small ships on the Adriatic and Baltic Seas, safari tours in East African as well as tours in Australia and New Zealand.