Contributed by Margi Kyle, The Designing Doctor, LLC
Director of Non-Profits LKNConnect.com
Founder of Little Smiles NC
Major Chief Cook in our House!
Cardinal Soup: Instant Gourmet!
Serves 8 people
This recipe came from a cookbook my mother helped write, and I have used it for years. This soup is great for a quick and delicious first course at dinner, as a meal for lunch, or for football games. I love it with a grilled cheese sandwich, garlic bread, or cornbread muffins.
2 10 ½ ounce Cans of Tomato Soup Do not dilute with water.
2 10 ½ ounce cans of Beef Bouillon Do not dilute with water.
1 Cup of Water
½ Cup of Chopped Onions I use the frozen chopped onions found in the frozen section with the veggies! Such a time saver and no more tears!
½ Teaspoon Janes Krazy Mixed-Up Salt and Pepper (or more to taste)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Frozen Pellets of Dorot Gardens Crushed Garlic and Ginger Harris Teeter has them in the frozen section with the veggies. Another huge time saver.
½ Teaspoon of Nutmeg
½ Cup Cooking Sherry
Chopped Chives or Parsley as a garnish
- Put a bit of olive oil in a pot over medium and cook the onions.
- Add the pellets of garlic and ginger.
- Add the 4 cans of soup, the 2 cans of beef bouillon, 1 cup of water, and all the other ingredients except the sherry and chives (spices and lemon juice).
- Cook the soup for at least 30 minutes. I then either put it in a blender or use my hand blender to mix it all up.
- Add the sherry and top with chives.
It freezes well and is delicious as an instant gourmet treat!
Preparation and photos by Margi Kyle
Printed version of this recipe
We would love to publish your favorite recipe! Interested? Just follow these easy instructions.
Email the following to our Managing Editor, Hanna Schoenrock:
- The recipe, instructions, and any hints about how you make it
- Two horizontal photos, (or more if you’d like to do a step-by-step), of the completed dish
- A short introduction (any of the following)
- Where you found the recipe (especially if it is from a cookbook)
- Why it’s a family favorite
- Is it quick and easy to make?
- Does it use a special or “secret” ingredient?
See all of our published recipes. LKNConnect’s 2021 Cookbook.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed by our writers belong solely to them
and do not represent LKNConnect.com, its publisher or its staff.