By Margi Kyle, The Designing Doctor, LLC
Director of Non-Profits LKNConnect.com
Founder of Little Smiles NC
Major Chief Cook in our House!
This is a favorite recipe. I like to let the soup for several hours to get the spices to blend. — Margi
Chicken Taco Tortilla Soup
1 Large Onion – I use the frozen chopped onions.
3 Cloves Chopped Garlic, and add a Sprinkle of Black Garlic Salt
Jane’s Krazy Mixed-Up – Salt and pepper to taste.
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts OR 2 Packages of Ground Chicken. I like the ground chicken; it makes the soup thicker.
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 10-Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, undrained
4 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
1 Small Can of Tomato Paste
1 14.5-Ounce Can of Mexican-Style Diced Tomatoes, undrained
2 15-Ounce Cans Black Beans, drained
1 Can Corn
2 15-Ounce Cans Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-Ounce Can Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Envelope Taco Seasoning Mix – Use 2 if you like it spicy.
1 Envelope Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
1 Cup Wine
Diced Red Onion
Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Mexican Grated Cheese
- In a large pot on the stove, add the olive oil.
- Sauté the onions.
- Add the chicken and cook.
- Add both cans of the diced tomatoes, juice and all.
- Add the chicken bone broth and tomato paste. Stir to combine, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the drained black beans, corn, kidney beans, pinto beans, taco seasoning mix, and dry Ranch dressing mix.
- Give it a taste and add salt or seasonings as needed; be sure to not under salt it!
Ladle the soup into a bowl. Add avocado, red onion, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla strips to the top. The more toppings on Taco Tortilla Soup, the better!
Preparation and photos by Margi Kyle
Printed version of this recipe
We would love to publish your favorite recipe! Interested? Just follow these easy instructions.
Email the following to our Managing Editor, Hanna Schoenrock:
- The recipe, instructions, and any hints about how you make it
- Two horizontal photos, (or more if you’d like to do a step-by-step), of the completed dish
- A short introduction (any of the following)
- Where you found the recipe (especially if it is from a cookbook)
- Why it’s a family favorite
- Is it quick and easy to make?
- Does it use a special or “secret” ingredient?
See all of our published recipes. LKNConnect’s 2021 Cookbook.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed by our writers belong solely to them
and do not represent LKNConnect.com, its publisher or its staff.